The second annual Marshfield Safety Day will take place on Saturday, April 27th, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This free event is open to the public and offers emergency and disaster preparedness training through interactive displays, equipment demonstrations and presentations. The event offers activities for all age groups and both individuals and families are encouraged to attend to learn how to prepare for, and react to, emergency situations including natural disasters on land, in the air and at sea.
Due to the high level of interest in last year’s event, this year’s Marshfield Safety Day has been expanded to include two locations—the Marshfield Airport (GHG) and Brant Rock Town Pier—with related activities planned for each site.
Activities at the Marshfield Airport will be centered on land and air safety equipment and demonstrations while Brant Rock Town Pier activities will feature “hands on” commercial & recreational boating survival techniques in addition to a display of public safety vessels and more.
At the Marshfield Airport, you’ll find:
- Interactive displays, equipment and safety vehicle demonstrations, safety gear and services information as well as activities and displays for guests of all ages
- FAA Aviation Safety Seminar for pilots and MADOT/ Aeronautics will be on hand with an on-site flight simulator and will be providing information about learning to fly and other aviation related activities
- Child fingerprinting & K-9 Demonstrations will be offered by the Plymouth County Sheriff’s Department
- The Marshfield Kiwanis, part of a global organization of community volunteers, in conjunction with NSTAR, Columbia Gas and Dig Safe will be providing food, youth activities & educational materials
- Morning refreshments will be provided for all attendees courtesy of Captain Ken’s Coffee Shack
At the Town Pier, the US Coast Guard will be on hand to assist with the following:
- CG P-6 dewatering pumps on display and at the ready for operational for use
- USCG fishing vessel examiners on hand to answer questions
- A collection site for expired flares
- Free on-site Commercial fishing vessel or Charter boat exam for attendees
The USCG will also be teaming up with The Fishing Partnership Support Services to provide in water immersion suit training. Please bring your own survival gear to actively participate in this training!
Life raft training as well as training on damage control and how to prepare ahead for emergency situations in a controlled environment will also be provided.
Participating Organizations include:
Marshfield Police, Fire &,Harbormaster Departments; Marshfield Emergency Operations Center (EOC); USCG (Air Station Cape Cod, Station Point Allerton, Sector Boston Commercial Fishing Safety, CG Aux, Flotilla 12-08); Fishing Partnership Support Services; Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA); MA Emergency Management Agency (MEMA); MA Army National Guard; MA State Police Air Wing, Bomb Squad, Marine Unit; Boston Police Marine Unit; Quincy Police Marine Unit, Scuba Unit; Duxbury Harbormaster; Plymouth Police Marine Unit; Plymouth County Sheriff’s Dept. (Child Fingerprinting Program & K-9 Demos); Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute; NSTAR, Columbia Gas Company & Dig Safe Utilities; Massachusetts Environmental Police; Marshfield Kiwanis (with youth activities); MA Dept. of Transportation/Aeronautics (MADOT/AD); Federal Aviation Administration (FAA);
Guest Appearances will include Bill Monte Skipper of FV Bounty Hunter as seen on the Discovery Channel.
Where to go:
Marshfield Airport (GHG) is located at 93 Old Colony Lane in Marshfield, MA.
Brant Rock Town Pier is located at 100 Central Street (Brant Rock Harbor), Marshfield, MA.
For additional information on Marshfield Safety Day, please contact: Harbormaster Mike DiMeo @ Tel: (781) 834-6655 x 175 or Airport Manager David Dinneen @ Tel: (781) 834-4928
We hope to see you Saturday, April 27th! (Rain date: April 28th)